Oftentimes while moving from place to place, it is easy to look past the minutely subtle characteristics that distinguish one place from another, and instead lump together vastly dissimilar lands as one. In my travels, I seek out these nuances.
The differences teach me to appreciate what I have and the small everyday victories. The differences teach me to live in the moment; I will never be in one place forever and the landscape is constantly evolving. And most importantly, these differences teach me to cherish and love the extraordinary world around us.
- There is (almost) nothing better than the feeling of peeling off cold, wet socks after ten miles of waterlogged hiking.
- The definition of bliss is approaching an already opened gate after driving for four hours, opening and closing twenty-plus gates.
- After spending unfathomable hours of driving time on severely rutted roads, the smooth cruise on a newly graded road is like the first few steps of a newborn foal as it finds its footing.
- The overflowing sense of relief as the stuck vehicles’ tires dig in and gain traction is like a breath of fresh air.
6. While slogging through fields of mud, accumulating several inches on your boots, nothing is more liberating than when said mud falls off, leaving your feet several pounds lighter.
8. In the land of Big Sky, the beauty of fire pervades the sky in breathtaking fashion, almost forcing those nearby to stand and watch.
9. The prairie is home to the fastest land mammal in North America, the Pronghorn. It is awe-inspiring to gaze upon flowing waves of grass as herds of Pronghorn glide effortlessly through the expanse.
10. Lastly, merely looking on the land, in all its rugged magnificence, highlights the uniqueness of the prairie. Here I can see for miles, and watch the animals soar, run, and hunt freely. Here I can walk for days and not see another person. Here I can see the stars, so close and so clear that I can almost reach out and touch them. One must be made of stone not to be moved by this land of such inimitable beauty.