Frequently Asked Questions
- Does it cost anything to volunteer? You don’t have to pay any fees to volunteer with Adventure Scientists. We will reimburse you for any expense you might incur when you ship us samples or buy sampling materials, but we’d love for you to consider covering these costs as a small donation to conservation research whenever reasonable.
- Can I sign up without a partner? For leaf crew, priority will be given to the volunteers who sign-up in pairs or groups. For wood crew, you may NOT sign up without a partner.
- Can I go into the field alone? No. We prioritize your safety, and you must commit to bringing at least one other person with you in case something happens in the field.
- Can I train my friends to collect data? No. Adventure Scientists is solely responsible for the training of each of our volunteers. Your friends may help you take a GPS point or photo, but if they want to be more involved in sample collection, they’ll need to be trained. Please send your friends our way to get trained as official volunteers!
- Can Adventure Scientists help me find a data collection partner? We recommend that you choose your own partner to make sure you know and trust their abilities in the field. For these reasons, Adventure Scientists is unable to match you with a partner.
- Can Adventure Scientists sponsor me on my next adventure? No. We rely on your contributions as a volunteer to help us advance conservation research. If you are interested in promoting your work as an Adventure Scientists volunteer, tag us when you post on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or reach out to us to collaborate on a blog post.